The markedly Jewish train of thought initiated in Calypso by the encounter with Dlugacz and the Zionist ads in his butcher shop continues as Bloom thinks back to his earliest married years. He and Molly lived first on "Pleasants street," and in subsequent years on two nearby streets (Lombard Street West, Raymond Terrace), all of them within easy walking distance of the house that Bloom grew up in. During those early years the Blooms had multiple Jewish friends living close by, some of them no doubt people that Bloom knew from his family of origin. Punning on the street name, he remembers "Pleasant evenings we had then," "pleasant old times." But the friendships did not endure, perhaps because of Bloom's apostasy.

JH 2017

Bloom's home of origin on Clanbrassil Street (red), Pleasants Street (blue), Lombard Street West (purple), St. Kevin's Parade (green), Raymond Street and Raymond Terrace (orange), and Heytesbury Street (black). Arbutus Place, not shown on this map, is in the area crossed by the red arrow. Source: John Henry Raleigh, The Chronicle of Leopold and Molly Bloom.

Photograph of September 1901 Jewish wedding of Esther Levin of Waterford and Myer Stein of Dublin at the Waterford courthouse, taken by Poole Photographic Studios and held in the National Library of Ireland. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Photograph of Israel Citron (1876-1951), reproduced by courtesy of Drs. Leslie and Ivor Citron. Source: Louis Hyman, The Jews of Ireland, Plate XVII.

The Goldwater poultry shop on Clanbrassil Street, in a 1965 RTE documentary. Source: comeheretome.com.