D. B. C.

The "D. B. C."  is the Dublin Bread Company, a baking business whose tearooms and restaurants operated at four different locations in Dublin: on O'Connell Street Lower, on Dame Street near Dublin Castle, on the northern border of St. Stephen's Green, and at the National Library in Kildare Street. Bloom thinks of one of these—unspecified—in Lestrygonians as the "Dublin Bakery Company tearoom." Three other mentions of the company, in this chapter and in Wandering Rocks, all clearly refer to the Dame Street premises.

JH 2021

The D.B.C. tea-room at St. Stephen's Green North, in a photograph held in the National Library of Ireland. Source: Cyril Pearl, Dublin in Bloomtime.

The massive main D.B.C. building on Lower O'Connell Street, designed by architect George F. Beckett, constructed in 1901, and destroyed in the Easter Rising in 1916. Source: www.archiseek.com.

Colorized view of the façade.. Source: www.archiseek.com.