By 1904 coal gas was a well-established source of energy for urban streetlights and homes, but electricity generation was only beginning to ramp up. Dublin's principal power plant, the Dublin Corporation Electric Light Station, was at 49-56 Fleet Street, two blocks south of the Liffey in the area now called Temple Bar. (Temple Bar, the street, makes a continuous walking thoroughfare with Fleet Street.) As Stephen walks down the street in Wandering Rocks he hears "The whirr of flapping leathern bands and hum of dynamos from the powerhouse."

John Hunt 2023

Ca. 1900 photograph of the interior of the Dublin Corporation Electric Light station on Fleet Street. Source: esbarchives.ie.

March 2022 photograph by Helmuth Hernández of the Thunder Road Cafe on Fleet Street. Source: google.com.